With an increase in Canada’s aging population, including an increasing number of aging Veterans, the Legion is taking steps to support seniors.
Benefits available through Veterans Affairs Canada
Veterans and their dependents are often not be aware that Veterans Affairs Canada offers a range of supports and services for aging Veterans and their spouses, to help them live independently, safely and comfortably in their own home as long as possible. Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- financial assistance for hearing aids, medical appliances and health services
- mobility supports and home adaptations
- home maintenance services
- independent living services such as meals on wheels and housekeeping
- supports and services for Veterans in long term care
BC/Yukon Command of the Royal Canadian Legion assists Veterans, their spouses and dependents in accessing benefits and supports available through Veterans Affairs Canada. As well, our Legion Command Service Officers can refer Veterans and their spouses to a variety of national, provincial and community programs, services and supports for seniors.
Please contact a BC/Yukon Command Service Officer for information on benefits and supports you may be eligible for, and for assistance in obtaining those benefits.